Fall Reading (Or Should I Say, Re-Reading?

The best way to fill up my soul and tap into my creative bank is to READ. Getting lost in the pages of a story and the lives of the characters is purely, magically restorative. My current to-read list is extensive but something about the season of Autumn, makes me long to RE-READ. (My book club friends can attest to my serial re-reading habit...I know it's a little nutty.)

So if you are in need of a good place to get lost, look no further. The list below is tried and true, I promise.

1. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

"No, I don’t think I will kiss you, although you need kissing, badly. That’s what’s wrong with you. You should be kissed and often, by someone who knows what he’s doing."

2. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers

“...my love isn't a weapon, it's a lifeline, reach out and take hold, and don't let go!"

3. Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See

“Read a thousand books, and your words will flow like a river.”

4. Harry Potter - the whole AMAZING series by J.K. Rowling

“There are all kinds of courage,” said Dumbledore, smiling. “It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.” –The Sorcerer’s Stone

5. The Shack by William P. Young

“Don't ever discount the wonder of your tears. They can be healing waters and a stream of joy. Sometimes they are the best words the heart can speak.”

6. Beloved by Toni Morrison

“Sweet, crazy conversations full of half sentences, daydreams and misunderstandings more thrilling than understanding could ever be.

7. Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - I recommend the book series and the Starz miniseries

“Oh, aye, Sassenach. I am your master . . . and you're mine. Seems I canna possess your soul without losing my own.”

8. The Chronicles of Narnia box set by C.S. Lewis

“Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.”

9. The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer (Don't judge...they're a GREAT escape!

"No measure of time with you will be long enough. But we'll start with forever."

10. Pillars of the Earth and sequel World Without End by Ken Follett

“Nevertheless, the book gave Jack a feeling he had never had before, that the past was like a story, in which one thing led to another, and the world was not a boundless mystery, but a finite thing that could be comprehended.”

Okay, so these are not in any particular order and I have several others that I've read more than once, some classics, some not-so-classic, but all of them have inspired me on my own writing journey.

I hope there's something here that you can enjoy. Have you ever read a book more than once? Do share...

Happy reading!

{J}

Holly and Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment