My Kids are Addicts...Are Yours?

Sugar addiction. It's a real thing and my house has it BAD! It all started last Halloween when the Halloween Fairy got lazy and the kids got sneaky. See, she's the one who typically visits a week after Halloween and leaves cash whilst magically removing the remaining candy in the house. The kids get a week of indulgence and then POOF, we go back to our more healthy habits.

Unfortunately, the Halloween Fairy forgot to visit the Hales at the same time that the Hale kids figured out the game. And for the last several months, my kids have had their own secret stashes of candy tucked away in drawers and cubbies and locked-away troves.

How did I find this out? Well, I was fighting a migraine last week and in one of my rants I cried out "Make it stop!" and "I really need chocolate!!" At that exact time, my two boys looked at each other. It was a look without words. It was a silent message of great import. It was a realization of high stakes. And my youngest, I swear he loves me the most, decided to be the sacrifice.

"Mom, my lovely, hurting mom. I have what you need..." he said sweetly before rushing off.

"He's going to his secret stash," Logan told Bella. They looked worried and avoided my eyes. I think they wanted to run but, like moths drawn to the flame, they HAD to stick around and stand witness to their little brother who, at that moment, returned with a selection of mini candy bars.

"Here you go, mom. I hope you feel better soon." Noah sealed his gift with a smile that could melt the polar ice caps.

"Thank you, Noah. That's so sweet of you." I unwrapped my first Twix. My kids twitched nervously. "Is this leftover from Valentine's Day?" I asked while looking through the pile for a Snickers.

"Um, well..." he glanced nervously at his siblings, "No. I think that one's from Halloween."

Though Logan and Bella sat in silence, their faces contorted and their eyes pleaded: "Noah, STOP! Say no more! Maybe we can salvage this!!"

"So you still have Halloween candy? It must be almost gone, right?" I calmly continue the interrogation.

"Well..." that kid can't tell a lie, "I think I have some from Christmas and Valentine's Day too. And I bought some from my friends at school..."

By now, Noah won't look at his brother and sister, both shaking their heads certain the hammer's about to fall. But he can't look at me either because even though having a little bit of leftover candy around the house isn't a crime, having a secret collection along with free and easy access to it, feels like quite a betrayal.

"Does everyone in this house have a secret stash Noah?" Bella and Logan sunk a little lower in their seats.

"Okay, tell the truth. Do you have candy every day?" I addressed them all.

Nods all around.

"Even on days when we have ice cream or some other dessert?"

More nods.

"And last week when I bought you Cinnamon Toast Crunch and you fought over the last bowl?" (True story. I think they would've actually come to blows had Michael not intervened.)

Affirmative.

"You guys have a problem. And it's WAY bigger than me finding out about your hidden candy...You are addicted to sugar."

Then we had a long discussion about the way sugar changes your brain chemistry and takes the tastiness out of other foods and messes with your metabolism and lowers your immune system and causes you to act like crazy, deceitful children. We talked about the risks of addiction and the benefits of having control of your body and mind. And how moderation is the key, for most things, at least. The conversation took lots of turns and dips but it ended up being the best family intervention ever.

Maybe you feel like there's an unhealthy habit in your home that needs to be addressed. You're definitely NOT alone. Don't let those secret stashes get out of control, whatever they may be. Seek them out and reign them in. If I can kick the D.C. habit, and my kids can overcome their sugar addictions, for the love, there's HOPE for all.

Be well.

{J}

Holly and Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment